What’s this JP5 tablet all about?

We’ve received a lot of questions about the JP5 tablet. So get ready for some JP5 “101.”

“So in prison you can send email? Listen to music?  Download games?

With the JP5 Tablet, yes you can!

The next-generation tablet for corrections has brought all of these activities to inmates across the country. With an Android-based operating system and a game store with tons of cool apps, the JP5 tablet aims to provide a constructive way to spend time. From sending emails and video messages, to downloading games and new album releases, to watching educational videos, the JP5 gives inmates access to technologies that help them be productive with their time and stay connected with loved ones.

“But what is the overall vision in bringing the JP5 tablet to corrections?”

The ultimate aim of the JP5 tablet program is to provide a modern resource to help the incarcerated community stay connected and build needed relationships to assist reentry into society. Additionally, education is key to  reducing recidivism and by providing free educational resources, we hope to help build a foundation that will lead to a successful life after prison.

“Wait, you can earn your college credits from the JP5 tablet too?”

JPay is committed to making digital education a reality for any facility, helping to reform corrections and prepare offenders for success upon release. Courses and assignments can be downloaded to the JP5 tablet and completed outside of the limited classroom interactions. JPay also makes free KA Lite educational videos available, and depending on the facility, students can earn college credits and certifications through JPay’s Lantern, our tablet-based educational platform with an extensive Learning Management System and content from reputable providers.

“How is JPay able to bring this kind of technology to such a challenging environment?”

Over the past decade, JPay has worked to build a high-security platform that allows us to deploy today’s technologies inside prisons, and ensure that  families can remain in-contact with their incarcerated loved ones. From the field technicians and account managers that are constantly working with and within each facility, to our support ticketing team responding to every request, we are here to bridge the technological gap.

“So how can my loved one get a JP5 tablet?”

Availability varies by state, but we are constantly working to bring the JP5 series to every state and facility.

For details on the JP5 family of tablets in your state, please visit http://bit.ly/1Srbpnm.

1. Joshua

November 20, 2018 - 10:21 pm

The issue that I am having is my loved one just received his tablet. He can log into the tablet just fine with his password. However, after logging into the tablet, now it says that his password is invalid on the Kiosk machine and he cannot receive any of my emails or video grams. What should we do? He tells me that he cannot sync his tablet unless he is able to log into the Kiosk machine. Please help.

November 19, 2018 - 3:54 pm

Hi Tanya – Please email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative to request the tracking information of the new ticket. Thanks!

3. Tanya

November 17, 2018 - 11:18 pm

I purchased a jp5 7” player for my husband 9/5/18 he got it a few weeks later but it only worked for about 24 hours. The morning after he received it he went to the kiosk to download a game he purchased and it didn’t down load. Then when the battery was getting low he went to charge it and it wouldn’t charge unfortunately he had already submitted a ticket about the game so he had to wait until that ticket was cleared which I don’t know if he ever got his money back for the game but he had also purchased a newspaper or magazine subscription and some music. Which he didn’t get to enjoy. Once the game ticket was cleared he was then able to submit a ticket on the player itself not working. I noticed on my statement that another player was issued to him 10/21/2018 he said he got a notice that it shipped is there any way to find out if it was delivered to his facility yet? Will he get his subscriptions and music he paid for or can he be reimbursed? It would have been so much easier on us if he would have been able to submit a ticket for the media issues separate from the player itself
    Just a suggestion allowing inmates to submit more than one ticket per catigory at a time then waiting. It’s I mean the original order took a long time but he only was able to use it 24 hours so far since it was originally ordered on 9/5/-11/17. I just pray this one works more than 24 hours. At least we’ve had the kiosk. Thanks jpay for keeping our family connected

November 12, 2018 - 1:22 pm

Hi Carrie – We do not have information on new tablets for 2019. Thanks!

5. Carrie Cunningham

November 11, 2018 - 6:08 pm

is there a new tablet coming out next year where the inmates can call there loved ones from them

October 26, 2018 - 1:26 pm

Hi Punkin – Your loved one’s media account will not be displayed in your JPay account. Thanks!

7. Punkin

October 25, 2018 - 8:33 pm

My LO has a tablet how come a media account isn’t showing up on my end?

October 23, 2018 - 10:24 am

Hi Beverly – the promotional period ended for the ten pilot sites so now the standard pricing is available. Thanks!

9. Beverly

October 17, 2018 - 5:00 pm

He is in Florida at Waukulla.

10. Beverly

October 17, 2018 - 4:33 pm

I tried ordering the tablet on line but the price is coming up at $129.99 but they said it would be $64.99.

October 17, 2018 - 2:36 pm

Hi DeVito – If your loved one is having an issue with the tablet, please have them write a ticket from the kiosk to customer service. Thanks!

October 17, 2018 - 2:24 pm

Hi Mandy – Securus acquired JPay a few years ago. Securus is still the phone provider. Thanks!

October 17, 2018 - 2:16 pm

Hi Geneva – Please email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative who can answer all of your video visitation questions. Thanks!

October 17, 2018 - 2:14 pm

Hi Yasmin – If available in your loved ones location, you can send 30-second videograms through the JPay app and host Video Visitation sessions on a laptop or computer. You cannot host Video Visitation sessions on your mobile phone. Thanks!

October 17, 2018 - 2:12 pm

Hi Cheryl – At this time, TDCJ does not offer tablets to incarcerated individuals. Thanks!

16. Cheryl Clair

October 16, 2018 - 10:51 pm

How much are the tablets and where can I order one? Thank you. My LO is in Texas TDCJ

17. Yasmin

October 14, 2018 - 1:35 am

Can we video chat with inmates? and if not will there be an upgrade someday where that feature is available?

18. Geneva

October 13, 2018 - 1:37 pm

I have made 5 visit with my husband and each one has been cancelled. we have not yet had a complete visit. does anyone has the rules to the video visitation and if so how could I find it to read it. I have been dressing accord. I only see him for less then a minute. I call JPay they tell me that it is the officers that control the video’s. the click the video on and off.

19. Mandy F

October 10, 2018 - 11:12 am

Did Securus take over Jpay? My boyfriend said it says something on the phones about it when he calls home. Is this true?

20. Devita ojeda

October 2, 2018 - 6:59 pm

Inmate says tablet are not working.

October 2, 2018 - 4:46 pm

Hi Shawn – Please email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative who can help you with the tablet purchase. Thanks!

October 2, 2018 - 4:44 pm

Hi Kenneth – The JPay tablets arrive with Quick Start Guides. You do not need to purchase any manuals. Thanks!

October 2, 2018 - 4:29 pm

Hi Lydda – Please have your brother send a trouble ticket through the kiosk detailing the issue. Thanks!

24. Lydda Encarnacion

October 2, 2018 - 3:13 pm

Hi, my brother is currently incarcerated, he just got his tablet today. He try to put his information on his tablet but mistakenly another prisoner end it up syncing his information on my brother’s tablet. Now my question is how can he remove his information from that tablet??

25. Kenneth Johnson

September 28, 2018 - 10:49 am

We are purchasing tablets through our Prison Ministry. We have had numerous requests to send Operating manuals to those we have purchased tablets for. Is there such a manual that we might download? Or what is the best to learn how to operate the tablets?

26. Shawn taylor

September 26, 2018 - 4:56 pm

Hello .. Do you have to be approved through the inmate vistor list to purches the tablet ?

September 25, 2018 - 3:28 pm

Hi Bernita – Where is your loved one located? All JPay tablets arrive with the Quick Start Guide which provides directions. Thanks!

September 25, 2018 - 3:24 pm

Hi Sylvia – Customer Service will be contacting you to help. Thanks!

September 25, 2018 - 3:20 pm

Hi Stone – Please email pressinquiries@JPay.com with more details (which facility, your loved one’s name, etc.) so we can look into this. Thanks!

September 25, 2018 - 3:09 pm

Hi Allison – When your loved one syncs the tablet to the kiosk, it should remove the photos permanently. If not, please have your loved one write a trouble ticket to customer service through the kiosk. Thanks!

31. Allison

September 25, 2018 - 12:46 pm

How do they delete pics that they don’t want in their photo album? My LO deleted the pics and the next day they were back in the album. How do you permanently delete? Thanks!

32. Stone Mary

September 24, 2018 - 6:12 pm

My son has received hi J player 5. The facility is taking it from them to charge it for 12 hrs. That is way too long to charge the battery, it will soon weaken the battery so it won’t charge at all by leaving it on that long. I call J-Pay, they said the facility had the option on how long charging took place!

33. Sylvia Neubauer

September 22, 2018 - 11:29 am

Trying to purchase JP5 for my son. He had a table before but it was lost in his movements and the facility, Kalulla Annex in Florida has been notified. When going to JPAY there is no access for purchase and my son can’t add to his media fund since the tablet in Florida is $139.00. I have contacted customer service and I am told my son has to purchase it but again how do you purchase something you can’t fund your media fund. I have sent the money to his commissary for the purchase but have been unable to do so since there is no area on his JPAY page to access his media fund. I hope you can help.

34. Bernita

September 20, 2018 - 1:45 pm

Does anyone know where to find the operating instructions for the JP5 Tablet?
    They do NOT come with a manual or instructions or anything, when they are delivered to the inmates.

September 18, 2018 - 4:26 pm

Hi Pam – we will alert all customers when new products and services are available, including tablets. Thanks!

September 18, 2018 - 4:22 pm

Hi Norma – Please email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative who can help you with tablet questions. Thanks!

37. Norma

September 18, 2018 - 12:06 pm

hi can you tell me what is the cost for the tablet.

38. Tomas Gonzalez

September 17, 2018 - 5:33 pm

I called the jpay office and spoke with Brandon, a person that identified himself as a supervisor when I asked for o e. Brandon, I am still waiting for your call back on the damaged tablet that I spoke to you about on Thursday the 13th of September. Will you be calling me back as promised Brandon?

39. Pam P.

September 14, 2018 - 12:54 am

Are JPay5 tablets available at Augusta Correctional facility in Craigsville, Va? If not, when?

September 13, 2018 - 1:18 pm

Hi Julie – You must have your account associated with your loved one. And if your loved one already owns an account, you can’t purchase him/her one. Thanks!

September 13, 2018 - 1:17 pm

Hi Carmen – Your loved one can send the tablet to JPay to be unlocked. Please email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative who can give you the directions. Thanks!

September 13, 2018 - 1:16 pm

Hi Denotre – Please email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative who can help you with your question. Thanks!

September 13, 2018 - 1:16 pm

Hi Claudia – The JP5s tablets come with chargers. Thanks!

September 13, 2018 - 12:46 pm

Hi John – There is no monthly fee for the JPay tablets – the incarcerated individuals own the device so it is not a rental model. To send an email, you must purchase stamps – every email requires a stamp, and attachments. Please keep in mind that some emails are flagged for review, which may cause a delay in delivery. Thanks!

45. john broughman

September 13, 2018 - 6:33 am

Is there a monthly charge for inmate to use jp5 and if so how much. Is there a charge to email with it? Why does it take up to 4 or 5 weeks to receive it? Thanks

46. Claudia pepin

September 7, 2018 - 7:13 pm

How do they charge it

47. Denotre Beverly

September 6, 2018 - 10:35 pm

Where can I get a price list for my loved one?

48. Carmen Smith

September 6, 2018 - 10:28 am

Upon getting released will the inmate be able to take thier tablet home with them ?

49. Julie byrd

September 6, 2018 - 4:59 am

Can anyone purchase a tablet for a inmate?

September 4, 2018 - 1:34 pm

Hi Theresa – Generally, tablets are delivered within a few weeks. You can email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative for more information on your specific order. Thanks!