What’s this JP5 tablet all about?

We’ve received a lot of questions about the JP5 tablet. So get ready for some JP5 “101.”

“So in prison you can send email? Listen to music?  Download games?

With the JP5 Tablet, yes you can!

The next-generation tablet for corrections has brought all of these activities to inmates across the country. With an Android-based operating system and a game store with tons of cool apps, the JP5 tablet aims to provide a constructive way to spend time. From sending emails and video messages, to downloading games and new album releases, to watching educational videos, the JP5 gives inmates access to technologies that help them be productive with their time and stay connected with loved ones.

“But what is the overall vision in bringing the JP5 tablet to corrections?”

The ultimate aim of the JP5 tablet program is to provide a modern resource to help the incarcerated community stay connected and build needed relationships to assist reentry into society. Additionally, education is key to  reducing recidivism and by providing free educational resources, we hope to help build a foundation that will lead to a successful life after prison.

“Wait, you can earn your college credits from the JP5 tablet too?”

JPay is committed to making digital education a reality for any facility, helping to reform corrections and prepare offenders for success upon release. Courses and assignments can be downloaded to the JP5 tablet and completed outside of the limited classroom interactions. JPay also makes free KA Lite educational videos available, and depending on the facility, students can earn college credits and certifications through JPay’s Lantern, our tablet-based educational platform with an extensive Learning Management System and content from reputable providers.

“How is JPay able to bring this kind of technology to such a challenging environment?”

Over the past decade, JPay has worked to build a high-security platform that allows us to deploy today’s technologies inside prisons, and ensure that  families can remain in-contact with their incarcerated loved ones. From the field technicians and account managers that are constantly working with and within each facility, to our support ticketing team responding to every request, we are here to bridge the technological gap.

“So how can my loved one get a JP5 tablet?”

Availability varies by state, but we are constantly working to bring the JP5 series to every state and facility.

For details on the JP5 family of tablets in your state, please visit http://bit.ly/1Srbpnm.

December 10, 2018 - 9:55 am

Hello – At this time only the JP5mini tablets are available in Virginia. Thanks!

2. lilysmom1998

December 7, 2018 - 6:20 pm

Are there any plans to make the 7″ tablet available at facilities in Virginia? Right now my husband has a JP5 mini. We both think the 7″ tablet would be much better for viewing games and pictures that I send to his email.

December 4, 2018 - 5:34 pm

Hi Angie – Tablets are available for your loved ones in Florida! Thanks!

4. angie Quintanilla

December 3, 2018 - 11:45 pm

Is the tablet available in florida ?

December 4, 2018 - 5:35 pm

Hi Angie – You can order a tablet through your JPay account using the JPay mobile app or JPay.com. You can also call customer service (800-574-5729) to speak with a customer service representative. Thanks!

6. angie Quintanilla

December 3, 2018 - 11:34 pm

Can someone tell me how to order a table … thanks

December 4, 2018 - 5:36 pm

Hello – You can order a tablet through your JPay account using the JPay mobile app or JPay.com. You can also call customer service (800-574-5729) to speak with a customer service representative. Thanks!

8. aa

December 3, 2018 - 11:32 pm

how do i buy a tablet? i have been all over this page and can’t find how to buy it? can someone tell how i can get one.. thank you

December 4, 2018 - 5:56 pm

Hi Joshua – You should send your tablet to JPay to be unlocked. Please email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative who can help you. Thanks!

10. Joshua Pace

December 3, 2018 - 10:14 am

What can I do with my tablet at home after my release cause I got my tablet the day before I was released but my account was closed so I couldn’t sync it

December 4, 2018 - 6:06 pm

Hi Melissa – We do not have anymore promotions scheduled for 2018. Thanks!

12. melissa capozziello

December 1, 2018 - 12:27 pm

Will these be going on sale for Christmas?

December 4, 2018 - 6:11 pm

Hi Kapil – We apologize for the delay, however customer service will respond to you shortly. Thanks!

14. Kapil

November 29, 2018 - 2:08 pm

How can I know the status of my unlocked JPAY5 Tablet. I was released on Sept 17, 2018, and promptly sent my tablet for unlocking. I emailed support@jpay.com, but have received no answer. Please help

December 4, 2018 - 6:11 pm

Hi Delilah – Depending on the facility, yes you can. Thanks!

16. Delilah Peterson

November 29, 2018 - 9:24 am

Can you upgrade from the mini to jp5 101

November 28, 2018 - 11:06 am

Hi Stacie – Yes, of course! Then they can send it to JPay to be unlocked so they can use the tablet. Thanks!

18. stacia hewlett

November 27, 2018 - 11:30 pm

Can they take the tablet home with them upon release

November 26, 2018 - 9:20 am

Hi Peter – When you log into your JPay account, if your loved one can receive email then you’ll see the option to send an email. Thanks!

20. peter

November 25, 2018 - 2:56 pm

i am new to all of this, so forgive me if this is a silly question.
    what about the physical security, as far as damage and/or theft of the tablet?
    also i guess i need to read more of the instructions but i dont see how or where to just send a simple email to an inmate

November 26, 2018 - 9:22 am

Hi Tia – Nope…no limit! They can check email as much as they like on their tablets. Thanks!

22. Tia

November 24, 2018 - 10:44 pm

Is there a limit to how many times they can access their email on the tablets ?

November 21, 2018 - 10:41 am

Hi Joshua – We’re sorry for the inconvenience your son is experiencing. Please have him write a trouble ticket through the kiosk (with all the detail) and a Customer Service Representative will respond to him. Thanks!

24. Joshua

November 20, 2018 - 10:21 pm

The issue that I am having is my loved one just received his tablet. He can log into the tablet just fine with his password. However, after logging into the tablet, now it says that his password is invalid on the Kiosk machine and he cannot receive any of my emails or video grams. What should we do? He tells me that he cannot sync his tablet unless he is able to log into the Kiosk machine. Please help.

November 19, 2018 - 3:54 pm

Hi Tanya – Please email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative to request the tracking information of the new ticket. Thanks!

26. Tanya

November 17, 2018 - 11:18 pm

I purchased a jp5 7” player for my husband 9/5/18 he got it a few weeks later but it only worked for about 24 hours. The morning after he received it he went to the kiosk to download a game he purchased and it didn’t down load. Then when the battery was getting low he went to charge it and it wouldn’t charge unfortunately he had already submitted a ticket about the game so he had to wait until that ticket was cleared which I don’t know if he ever got his money back for the game but he had also purchased a newspaper or magazine subscription and some music. Which he didn’t get to enjoy. Once the game ticket was cleared he was then able to submit a ticket on the player itself not working. I noticed on my statement that another player was issued to him 10/21/2018 he said he got a notice that it shipped is there any way to find out if it was delivered to his facility yet? Will he get his subscriptions and music he paid for or can he be reimbursed? It would have been so much easier on us if he would have been able to submit a ticket for the media issues separate from the player itself
    Just a suggestion allowing inmates to submit more than one ticket per catigory at a time then waiting. It’s I mean the original order took a long time but he only was able to use it 24 hours so far since it was originally ordered on 9/5/-11/17. I just pray this one works more than 24 hours. At least we’ve had the kiosk. Thanks jpay for keeping our family connected

November 12, 2018 - 1:22 pm

Hi Carrie – We do not have information on new tablets for 2019. Thanks!

28. Carrie Cunningham

November 11, 2018 - 6:08 pm

is there a new tablet coming out next year where the inmates can call there loved ones from them

October 26, 2018 - 1:26 pm

Hi Punkin – Your loved one’s media account will not be displayed in your JPay account. Thanks!

30. Punkin

October 25, 2018 - 8:33 pm

My LO has a tablet how come a media account isn’t showing up on my end?

October 23, 2018 - 10:24 am

Hi Beverly – the promotional period ended for the ten pilot sites so now the standard pricing is available. Thanks!

32. Beverly

October 17, 2018 - 5:00 pm

He is in Florida at Waukulla.

33. Beverly

October 17, 2018 - 4:33 pm

I tried ordering the tablet on line but the price is coming up at $129.99 but they said it would be $64.99.

October 17, 2018 - 2:12 pm

Hi Cheryl – At this time, TDCJ does not offer tablets to incarcerated individuals. Thanks!

35. Cheryl Clair

October 16, 2018 - 10:51 pm

How much are the tablets and where can I order one? Thank you. My LO is in Texas TDCJ

October 17, 2018 - 2:14 pm

Hi Yasmin – If available in your loved ones location, you can send 30-second videograms through the JPay app and host Video Visitation sessions on a laptop or computer. You cannot host Video Visitation sessions on your mobile phone. Thanks!

37. Yasmin

October 14, 2018 - 1:35 am

Can we video chat with inmates? and if not will there be an upgrade someday where that feature is available?

October 17, 2018 - 2:16 pm

Hi Geneva – Please email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative who can answer all of your video visitation questions. Thanks!

39. Geneva

October 13, 2018 - 1:37 pm

I have made 5 visit with my husband and each one has been cancelled. we have not yet had a complete visit. does anyone has the rules to the video visitation and if so how could I find it to read it. I have been dressing accord. I only see him for less then a minute. I call JPay they tell me that it is the officers that control the video’s. the click the video on and off.

October 17, 2018 - 2:24 pm

Hi Mandy – Securus acquired JPay a few years ago. Securus is still the phone provider. Thanks!

41. Mandy F

October 10, 2018 - 11:12 am

Did Securus take over Jpay? My boyfriend said it says something on the phones about it when he calls home. Is this true?

October 17, 2018 - 2:36 pm

Hi DeVito – If your loved one is having an issue with the tablet, please have them write a ticket from the kiosk to customer service. Thanks!

43. Devita ojeda

October 2, 2018 - 6:59 pm

Inmate says tablet are not working.

October 2, 2018 - 4:29 pm

Hi Lydda – Please have your brother send a trouble ticket through the kiosk detailing the issue. Thanks!

45. Lydda Encarnacion

October 2, 2018 - 3:13 pm

Hi, my brother is currently incarcerated, he just got his tablet today. He try to put his information on his tablet but mistakenly another prisoner end it up syncing his information on my brother’s tablet. Now my question is how can he remove his information from that tablet??

October 2, 2018 - 4:44 pm

Hi Kenneth – The JPay tablets arrive with Quick Start Guides. You do not need to purchase any manuals. Thanks!

47. Kenneth Johnson

September 28, 2018 - 10:49 am

We are purchasing tablets through our Prison Ministry. We have had numerous requests to send Operating manuals to those we have purchased tablets for. Is there such a manual that we might download? Or what is the best to learn how to operate the tablets?

October 2, 2018 - 4:46 pm

Hi Shawn – Please email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative who can help you with the tablet purchase. Thanks!

49. Shawn taylor

September 26, 2018 - 4:56 pm

Hello .. Do you have to be approved through the inmate vistor list to purches the tablet ?

September 25, 2018 - 3:09 pm

Hi Allison – When your loved one syncs the tablet to the kiosk, it should remove the photos permanently. If not, please have your loved one write a trouble ticket to customer service through the kiosk. Thanks!

51. Allison

September 25, 2018 - 12:46 pm

How do they delete pics that they don’t want in their photo album? My LO deleted the pics and the next day they were back in the album. How do you permanently delete? Thanks!

September 25, 2018 - 3:20 pm

Hi Stone – Please email pressinquiries@JPay.com with more details (which facility, your loved one’s name, etc.) so we can look into this. Thanks!

53. Stone Mary

September 24, 2018 - 6:12 pm

My son has received hi J player 5. The facility is taking it from them to charge it for 12 hrs. That is way too long to charge the battery, it will soon weaken the battery so it won’t charge at all by leaving it on that long. I call J-Pay, they said the facility had the option on how long charging took place!

September 25, 2018 - 3:24 pm

Hi Sylvia – Customer Service will be contacting you to help. Thanks!

55. Sylvia Neubauer

September 22, 2018 - 11:29 am

Trying to purchase JP5 for my son. He had a table before but it was lost in his movements and the facility, Kalulla Annex in Florida has been notified. When going to JPAY there is no access for purchase and my son can’t add to his media fund since the tablet in Florida is $139.00. I have contacted customer service and I am told my son has to purchase it but again how do you purchase something you can’t fund your media fund. I have sent the money to his commissary for the purchase but have been unable to do so since there is no area on his JPAY page to access his media fund. I hope you can help.

September 25, 2018 - 3:28 pm

Hi Bernita – Where is your loved one located? All JPay tablets arrive with the Quick Start Guide which provides directions. Thanks!

57. Bernita

September 20, 2018 - 1:45 pm

Does anyone know where to find the operating instructions for the JP5 Tablet?
    They do NOT come with a manual or instructions or anything, when they are delivered to the inmates.

September 18, 2018 - 4:22 pm

Hi Norma – Please email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative who can help you with tablet questions. Thanks!

59. Norma

September 18, 2018 - 12:06 pm

hi can you tell me what is the cost for the tablet.

September 18, 2018 - 4:26 pm

Hi Pam – we will alert all customers when new products and services are available, including tablets. Thanks!

61. Pam P.

September 14, 2018 - 12:54 am

Are JPay5 tablets available at Augusta Correctional facility in Craigsville, Va? If not, when?

September 13, 2018 - 12:46 pm

Hi John – There is no monthly fee for the JPay tablets – the incarcerated individuals own the device so it is not a rental model. To send an email, you must purchase stamps – every email requires a stamp, and attachments. Please keep in mind that some emails are flagged for review, which may cause a delay in delivery. Thanks!

63. john broughman

September 13, 2018 - 6:33 am

Is there a monthly charge for inmate to use jp5 and if so how much. Is there a charge to email with it? Why does it take up to 4 or 5 weeks to receive it? Thanks

September 13, 2018 - 1:16 pm

Hi Claudia – The JP5s tablets come with chargers. Thanks!

65. Claudia pepin

September 7, 2018 - 7:13 pm

How do they charge it

September 13, 2018 - 1:16 pm

Hi Denotre – Please email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative who can help you with your question. Thanks!

67. Denotre Beverly

September 6, 2018 - 10:35 pm

Where can I get a price list for my loved one?

September 13, 2018 - 1:17 pm

Hi Carmen – Your loved one can send the tablet to JPay to be unlocked. Please email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative who can give you the directions. Thanks!

69. Carmen Smith

September 6, 2018 - 10:28 am

Upon getting released will the inmate be able to take thier tablet home with them ?

September 13, 2018 - 1:18 pm

Hi Julie – You must have your account associated with your loved one. And if your loved one already owns an account, you can’t purchase him/her one. Thanks!

71. Julie byrd

September 6, 2018 - 4:59 am

Can anyone purchase a tablet for a inmate?

September 4, 2018 - 1:32 pm

Hello – Unfortunately not. Incarcerated individuals cannot gift their tablets to others at the institution. Thanks!

73. Long tran

August 30, 2018 - 3:04 pm

Hi I have a brother in Ga state prison will my brother be able to give his tablet to his friend when he released?

September 4, 2018 - 1:34 pm

Hi Theresa – Generally, tablets are delivered within a few weeks. You can email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative for more information on your specific order. Thanks!

75. Theresa

August 28, 2018 - 9:18 am

After order how long does it take to get

August 27, 2018 - 1:41 pm

Hi Sonya – No, incarcerated individuals do not have access to the internet or social media sites. Thanks!

77. Sonya

August 22, 2018 - 4:49 pm

Is the jp5 tablets allow inmates to be on social media of any type like Twitter, face book, instagram

August 27, 2018 - 1:43 pm

Hi Josh – The tablets are used for a ton of things! If available at your loved one’s facility, they can purchase/download music and games, educational videos, access stop watch clocks and much more!

79. Josh

August 21, 2018 - 3:29 pm

What can an inmate do on the jp5 that they can’t do on the jpay kiosk?

August 27, 2018 - 1:48 pm

Hi Krystal – Every email requires one stamp to send. If you send an attachment with the email, then that would be two stamps. However, you do need to purchase JPay stamps to send emails. Thanks!

81. Krystal

August 20, 2018 - 11:08 am

I’ve seen the price list for the prison where the jp5 will be used. Can you expand on how stamps are charged please? I see price lists for Email and then for Outbound Email. Does the inmate get charged twice then for an email? I appreciate the explanation of this.

August 27, 2018 - 1:53 pm

Hi Ryan – If Wi-Fi is available at your loved one’s facility, then they can send emails from the tablet. If not, they’ll need to sync to the kiosk. Thanks!

83. Ryan

August 18, 2018 - 5:45 pm

Will my loved one be able to email directly from the tablet instead of waiting at the long line to get to the kiosk once they receive their JP5?

84. MILTON OBEN

August 7, 2018 - 4:14 am

It’s easier for us to send mail

August 15, 2018 - 12:54 pm

Hi Milton – If available in your loved one’s facility, you can send an email through JPay. Thanks!

86. MILTON OBEN

August 7, 2018 - 3:55 am

Just want to send small letter

« Older Comments