What’s this JP5 tablet all about?

We’ve received a lot of questions about the JP5 tablet. So get ready for some JP5 “101.”

“So in prison you can send email? Listen to music?  Download games?

With the JP5 Tablet, yes you can!

The next-generation tablet for corrections has brought all of these activities to inmates across the country. With an Android-based operating system and a game store with tons of cool apps, the JP5 tablet aims to provide a constructive way to spend time. From sending emails and video messages, to downloading games and new album releases, to watching educational videos, the JP5 gives inmates access to technologies that help them be productive with their time and stay connected with loved ones.

“But what is the overall vision in bringing the JP5 tablet to corrections?”

The ultimate aim of the JP5 tablet program is to provide a modern resource to help the incarcerated community stay connected and build needed relationships to assist reentry into society. Additionally, education is key to  reducing recidivism and by providing free educational resources, we hope to help build a foundation that will lead to a successful life after prison.

“Wait, you can earn your college credits from the JP5 tablet too?”

JPay is committed to making digital education a reality for any facility, helping to reform corrections and prepare offenders for success upon release. Courses and assignments can be downloaded to the JP5 tablet and completed outside of the limited classroom interactions. JPay also makes free KA Lite educational videos available, and depending on the facility, students can earn college credits and certifications through JPay’s Lantern, our tablet-based educational platform with an extensive Learning Management System and content from reputable providers.

“How is JPay able to bring this kind of technology to such a challenging environment?”

Over the past decade, JPay has worked to build a high-security platform that allows us to deploy today’s technologies inside prisons, and ensure that  families can remain in-contact with their incarcerated loved ones. From the field technicians and account managers that are constantly working with and within each facility, to our support ticketing team responding to every request, we are here to bridge the technological gap.

“So how can my loved one get a JP5 tablet?”

Availability varies by state, but we are constantly working to bring the JP5 series to every state and facility.

For details on the JP5 family of tablets in your state, please visit http://bit.ly/1Srbpnm.

July 19, 2018 - 2:57 pm

Hi Aurora – Please send an email to Pressinquiries@jpay.com and include your loved one’s name and the name of the facility where she is located. We’ll send the facility a Quick Start Guide and make sure it’s delivered to her. Thanks!

2. Aurora Laigh

July 19, 2018 - 2:30 pm

Thank you for responding! (Hi Aurora – The JP5 manual is located on the JP5 device. A Quick Start guide arrives with the device to help with setup, but the actual manual and FAQs are located on the device.)

The gal that works unpacking the devices at my mothers facility said that NO papers at all were packed with the device. I’m sure you can imagine how difficult it would be to use a touch screen after 20 years incarcerated?? These folks have no prior knowledge of how to use modern electronics or the basic functions. It would be impossible for them to view the “manual located on the device” if they are not familiar with basic functions of the device.

What help can you offer those that didn’t receive the initial “Quick Start Guide”?

Is this available for purchase or download?

Thanks!

July 19, 2018 - 9:29 am

Hi Aurora – The JP5 manual is located on the JP5 device. A Quick Start guide arrives with the device to help with setup, but the actual manual and FAQs are located on the device. Thanks!

4. Aurora Laigh

July 17, 2018 - 11:03 am

I’ve been researching for a few months and can’t seem to locate the user manual for the JPAY5. My mother purchased a device and did not receive a manual….Nor can anyone in her facility locate a manual. While researching, I came across a “vibe.com” article from an inmate who discussed the same issue was happening at his facility. Both facilities are in Michigan. Is it possible the Michigan shipments had no manuals? Or is there a security issue that won’t allow the manuals to clear? Is there any solution apart from purchasing another device and hoping there is a manual?

July 17, 2018 - 10:19 am

Hi Angela – You can see our fees on JPay.com. Thanks!

6. Angela

July 17, 2018 - 3:01 am

How much does the jpay cost I’m on a budget.

July 17, 2018 - 10:25 am

Hi Aurora – The user manual is only sent with the JP5 tablets. Thanks!

8. Aurora Laigh

July 15, 2018 - 7:39 pm

Hello! I am seeking a USER MANUAL for JPAY5 tablet. Where can I download? Thanks!!

July 17, 2018 - 10:29 am

Hi Jacky – Please have him write a trouble ticket from the kiosk and Customer Service will provide him with help in transferring music. Thanks!

10. Jacky

July 14, 2018 - 5:12 pm

Hi i was wondering my husband owns a mp4 can he transfer his music to the jp5 tablet

July 10, 2018 - 10:56 am

Hi Deb – Yes, whenever he receives a new JPay player, his music can be downloaded onto the device. Thanks!

12. Deb

July 9, 2018 - 8:21 am

can my sons music be transferred to the new device even if his old one was stolen?

June 25, 2018 - 9:49 am

Hi Glenn – The JP5 Tablets are only available for incarcerated individuals. Thanks!

14. Glenn Isom

June 22, 2018 - 6:19 pm

I am not a inmate and I would like to buy a Jp5 table for my self. can I buy one

June 18, 2018 - 9:23 am

Hi Cat – Most facilities that offer the JPay tablets provide eBooks. We do not work with Amazon or Kindle. Thanks!

16. Cat

June 17, 2018 - 10:38 pm

Can the JP5 download digital reading apps, like Amazon Kindle? Or is there some other way to download books to the device….if allowed by the facility?

June 15, 2018 - 10:12 am

Hi Angel – At this time JPay does not offer services in Rhode Island. If that changes, we’ll alert all everyone! Thanks!

18. Angel Ramos

June 15, 2018 - 2:35 am

Are you guy coming to Rhode island please try I’ll be great

June 12, 2018 - 1:49 pm

Hi Tish – At this time we do not have any updates for new services in Texas. If/when something is announced, we’ll make sure to inform all customers. Thanks!

20. Tish Anderson

June 11, 2018 - 7:45 pm

Lane Murray unit Texas have it anytime soon???

June 11, 2018 - 1:52 pm

Hi Mike – An incarcerated individual can receive emails through the JPay kiosk, a tablet is not required. Thanks!

22. Mike

June 9, 2018 - 6:32 am

Does a inmate need a tablet to receive emails or if they can’t purchase one is there any way for them to get emails

June 1, 2018 - 8:17 am

Hi Tyra – Once a tablet deployment date is confirmed, we’ll alert all customers! Thanks!

24. Tyra

May 31, 2018 - 1:37 pm

Hello,
    I was wondering if/ when would Missouri prisons(Moberly Correctional Center) receive tablets?

June 1, 2018 - 8:19 am

Hi Melana -If you do not see the option to purchase a tablet for your loved one, that means they most likely already have one. In this case, only your loved one can purchase a new player from the kiosk. Thanks!

26. Melana MacLeod

May 31, 2018 - 10:56 am

I logged into my account and there is NOTHING that says anything about how to buy this thing or how much it cost. My son is in Michigan Department of Corrections. I do know they have them…..

May 29, 2018 - 9:37 am

Hi Maria – What state is your son located in? Thanks!

28. maria lenzsch

May 27, 2018 - 1:37 pm

Hi
    my son has the JP5 was wondering if there is a charger i can purchase so he doesn’t go thru so many batteries? also can you tell me who the player is made by (Apple) etc? Thanks

May 24, 2018 - 8:33 am

Hi Heidi – At this time the JP5 tablets are not available in Florida. Whenever a new product or service is available, we’ll be sure to inform all customers. Thanks!

30. Heidi Christophell

May 22, 2018 - 9:28 pm

Hello. Can you tell me if Avon Park correctional institute, Polk county Florida has tablets or if they will ever have them? And if they don’t do the inmates have access to email through jpay at this institution?

May 21, 2018 - 1:20 pm

Hi Lydia – He can click on the photos and delete them from his tablets. Keep in mind that some emails can be flagged for review, which may cause a delay in delivery. Thanks!

32. Lydia Acosta

May 16, 2018 - 11:41 pm

My bro has the Jp5 tablet 32 gigabyte How do you delete pictures you dont want?
    And why does he receive emails from me a month late sometimes?
    I do appreciate your device ty!!!!

April 2, 2018 - 9:01 am

Hi Angie – At this time, there are no plans for the JP5 tablets to be deployed in Indiana. Thanks!

34. Angie A

March 31, 2018 - 4:17 pm

Any idea when the JP5 or even the JP7 will be available at Miami Correctional Facility in Indiana? Thank you.

March 26, 2018 - 10:01 am

Hi Calvin – The JP5 tablets have rechargeable batteries. Thanks!

36. Calvin

March 23, 2018 - 8:17 am

I would like to know whether or not Florida inmates will receive the Jp5 that is battery powered, or the the lithium version?

37. Jade Trombetta

March 12, 2018 - 11:44 am

Hi Danielle – Incarcerated individuals in Georgia receive a free JPay tablet, that is why you can’t purchase one. Thanks!

38. Danielle

March 8, 2018 - 4:18 am

My S/O is in a Ga prison. I wanted to purchase a tablet for him but whenever I select his name from the drop box it states it’s not available for him at this time……..does this mean the facility isn’t allowing the use of the tablet or is it something to do with my S/O directly?

39. Jade Trombetta

February 27, 2018 - 11:57 am

Hi Alyssa – At this time you cannot pre-order tablets. Once tablet purchasing is available, we’ll inform all customers. Thanks!

40. Alyssa

February 26, 2018 - 9:49 pm

Can we pre order for Florida tablets. ??

41. Jade Trombetta

February 27, 2018 - 12:02 pm

Hi Kenny – Please email Support@JPay.com and a Customer Service Representative will inform you of next steps to unlock your tablet. Thanks!

42. Kenny Mays

February 23, 2018 - 2:45 pm

This is kenny mays i just out of prison my device i dnt not sync to the computer and get off kisko

43. Jade Trombetta

February 14, 2018 - 9:50 am

Hi Shirley – Please let me know what state you’re referring to. Thanks!

44. shirley

February 13, 2018 - 5:50 pm

will the tablet have batteries or will it be rechargeable with usb cord.

45. D

February 4, 2018 - 1:48 am

Next you should supply smart tv’s and ps4’s. Who says crime doesn’t pay

46. JPayModerator

February 2, 2018 - 1:40 pm

Hi Polly – The JP5 tablets will not be available for purchase until spring 2018 in the state of Florida. We thank you for your interest in our products and services.

47. Polly Williams

January 31, 2018 - 8:15 am

is the JP5s (7″) tablet available in Florida? Holmes correctional

48. JPayModerator

February 2, 2018 - 2:01 pm

Hi Cassie – At this time, we do not have an official start date on when services in California we will begin. When services do become available, we will be able to provide you with additional information. Thanks!

49. Cassie

January 26, 2018 - 9:21 pm

When will these tablets be available at Valley State Prison in California? I’m under the impression that they are coming soon. What I especially want to know is what these things are going to cost to purchase and also what it is going to cost per email that we send?

50. Paul Quine

January 22, 2018 - 6:35 am

Sorry, but I’m finding it difficult to get just basic information about my Jp5 now that I’ve been released from prison with it. One basic question is how do I get another power supply and USB cord to better charge the unit (which did not come the new and different unit).

51. JPayModerator

January 25, 2018 - 2:53 pm

Hi Linda – Congrats on your daughters release! In order for her to have her JP5 Tablet unlocked, please send it to the following address:

ATTN: Media Department

12034 Miramar Pkwy

Miramar, FL 33025​

Please make sure to include her name, previous ID #, a phone number to contact you with the status of the JP5 and a mailing address to return the unlocked JP5. Once the JP5 is unlocked, you can then connect it to a computer to upload your media downloads as well as add new media to the device. Please let us know if you have any questions. Have a nice day!

52. Linda Mount

January 13, 2018 - 5:25 pm

My daughter is about to be released soon in Febuary how do I go about getting her JPay tablet unlocked.

53. Pam Eguia

January 10, 2018 - 7:53 am

I’m so thankful inmates are allowed to write us through jpay and also that you have tablets for the inmates . We get a lot of special communication between my nephew and I pertaining to his son we have adopted. I have not deleted these messages because I’m wanting to make a scrapbook , the special things daddy says to his son . But I’ve searched everywhere to see about downloading these messages and cannot find anything anywhere. The Only way I’ve been able to do this is screenshot letters and print them off. Can you help me with this?

54. JPayModerator

January 12, 2018 - 1:25 pm

Hi Amanda – At this time, the JP5 tablet is not available in all California facilities. When it does become available for all, everyone will be notified of it’s release and it’s features. Thanks!

55. Amanda

January 7, 2018 - 3:00 pm

Also, any idea when you’ll be up and running in Pleasant Valley State Prison (A yard)? California?

56. JPayModerator

January 12, 2018 - 1:22 pm

Hi Amanda – To better assist you, please tell us which state and facility your loved one is located in?

57. Amanda

January 7, 2018 - 2:56 pm

Hi. I was wondering what, if any, accessories come with the jp5? Or are there any you can buy? Specifically, an HDMI cable?

58. JPayModerator

January 3, 2018 - 11:02 am

Hi Prince – Additional information on the features and the pricing of content will be provided when services are made available to all. We thank you for your interest in our products and services.

59. Prince

January 3, 2018 - 7:00 am

My son is at Dade Ci.. they told them spring of 2018 they can rent movies on their Jp5 tablet.. cost up to 7.99 is this true

60. JPayModerator

January 2, 2018 - 9:59 am

Hi Deisi – If your loved ones JP5 device has been damaged, please have them submit a “Trouble Ticket” and our support team will be able to help. Thanks!

61. Deisi

January 1, 2018 - 9:31 pm

My brother’s laptop unexpectedly shut-off. There is no damage of any kind to the tablet. What are his options? How can he get it to work again?

62. JPayModerator

December 18, 2017 - 1:46 pm

Hi Elizabeta – Emails are able to be deleted from the JP5. Keep in mind, if messages are removed, they will be deleted permanently.

63. Elizabeta

December 18, 2017 - 12:19 am

Can you delete messages on the jpay tablet mini ? I receive the tablet at home was wondering how to look at the archive messages ??

64. JPayModerator

December 18, 2017 - 3:52 pm

Hi Tracy – The prices of the JP5 varies by state. The best way to find out pricing is to log into your JPay account on JPay.com and see which options are available for you to purchase on your loved ones’ behalf. In addition, one JPay stamp will let you type up to 6000 characters.

65. Tracy yoakum

December 16, 2017 - 12:57 am

How much is a job tablet for me? How many words are allowed in each letter (email)

66. JPayModerator

December 11, 2017 - 1:56 pm

Hi Rebekah – Once released, your loved one will have the opportunity to keep the tablet and take it home. Keep in mind, tablets are not transferable so if your loved one decides they do not want it will be properly discarded. Thanks!

67. Rebekah

December 11, 2017 - 8:01 am

If you purchase a tablet for your loved one what happens to it after they are released?

68. JPayModerator

December 7, 2017 - 2:31 pm

Hi Reese – At this time, the JP5 is not available in the state of North Carolina. If the JP5 player does become available North Carolina, we will be sure to notify all of our customers located there. Thanks!

69. Reese

December 7, 2017 - 9:26 am

Do inmates in NC have access to the jp5 tablet? (Southern Correctional Institution) in Troy, NC

70. JPayModerator

December 7, 2017 - 2:35 pm

Hello Tracy – At this time, the JP5 is not available in the state of Illinois. If the JP5 player does become available Illinois, we will be sure to notify all of our customers located there. Thanks!

71. Tracy

December 6, 2017 - 1:48 pm

Hello, Are the JP5 tablets available in Taylorville, IL? Thank you.

72. JPayModerator

December 6, 2017 - 1:27 pm

Hi Amanda – If your loved ones JP5 device has been damaged, please advise him to write a trouble ticket at the kiosk so that his replacement options could be presented to him. Thanks

73. Amanda

December 1, 2017 - 2:28 pm

My SO tablet broke, it will not charge and the screen is broken. Is there anyway to get it fixed or will I be stuck having to buy a whole new tablet

74. JPayModerator

December 4, 2017 - 1:29 pm

Hi Heidi – It would all depend on the facility and state your loved one is located in.

75. Heidi

November 27, 2017 - 1:46 pm

Do all inmates get a jp5 or does it HV to b purchased

76. John W

November 20, 2017 - 6:03 am

How come you charge me a 3.xx fee to send 15 bucks then put fees on my friends end too? He gets something like 7 bucks if I pay 18. This is highway robbery

77. Ryce

November 14, 2017 - 7:36 pm

Will the music selection be the same as iTunes, google play music, or amazon has?

78. JPayModerator

November 7, 2017 - 11:19 am

Hi Lisa – Are you attempting to have your loved ones JP5 player unlocked for use after their release?

79. Lisa

November 6, 2017 - 4:08 pm

What are the exact steps that need to happen after release because I called the costumer help line and they no longer have the info about my past inmate so what happens now?? He has a jpay5 mini

80. JPayModerator

November 7, 2017 - 4:21 pm

Hi Vanessa – Hi Julissa – Please email Support@JPay.com and a Customer Service representative will give you more information about our email service. Thanks!

81. Vanessa Shadden

November 4, 2017 - 10:08 pm

I have a question how does my husband find family members he said that with mine 4 different addresses came up but all 4 had 3 digit # at the end of my name so he’s been sending some emails and a lot I haven’t received do you know why or how those come up. I’ve only had 1 email address since internet became popular. We’re do those come from?

82. JPayModerator

November 2, 2017 - 12:42 pm

Hi Tracey – At this time, the JP5 tablet is not available in all Florida facilities. When it does become available for all, everyone will be notified. Thanks!

83. cindy richards

October 31, 2017 - 3:25 pm

When will this be available at florida DOC?

84. JPayModerator

October 31, 2017 - 2:04 pm

Hi Tracey – At this time, movies are not available on the JP5 tablet in Florida. We thank you for your interest in our products and services.

85. TRACEY GOLDEN

October 28, 2017 - 6:27 pm

Can my love one download movies on the tablet is there a place to download them if it is possible when will Columbia correctional institute receive the tablets

86. JPayModerator

October 13, 2017 - 12:32 pm

Hello Ms Terrel – When your loved is released he/she will have the ability to take their JP5 player home for normal use. Be advised, in order for the device to be used it must first be sent back to JPay to be unlocked. For more information, please contact our customer service at 800-574-5729. Have a great day!

87. Ms terrell

October 13, 2017 - 1:07 am

For the jp5 tablet if we buy it forthe inmate are they allowed to take it with them or is it just for inside use only. Tryna get one for my sister white she’s in there

88. Joyce Gruener

September 30, 2017 - 9:55 pm

Do inmates at the Deerfield correctional able to email anytime with the tablet or is there certain times that they can

89. mrsewo

September 29, 2017 - 5:00 am

I’m told the player works via WiFi, which I s only accessed after plugging in to a kiosk at the facility. Is this just for emails or all features on the player? Please help me understand the manner in which the player works. Thank you.

90. Calvin

August 24, 2017 - 9:03 am

Ok, please and thank you. Your services are much appreciated and make it easier for families to keep in touch with loved ones. Prison systems seem to be a little behind in terms of communication.

91. Editor

August 29, 2017 - 3:53 pm

Hi Jenny – Please have your loved one submit a “Trouble Ticket”.

92. Jenny k

August 23, 2017 - 6:43 pm

My loved ones tablet is broken how do we get it fixed