What’s this JP5 tablet all about? pt.2

We often times receive questions about the availability of our services in each state. Today in “JP5 101 pt. 2”, we will cover some additional common questions.

Is the JP5 tablet available in my loved one’s state?

As of this posting, the JP5mini is available in state facilities in the following states:

• Idaho, Louisiana, Minnesota, New Jersey, North Dakota, Ohio, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington state correctional facilities, as well as Milwaukee House of Corrections, Northlake Correctional Facility and Taft Correctional Facility.

The JP5s – along with the JP5mini – is available in the below state facilities:

• Ohio, Minnesota and Vermont, as well as Northlake Correctional Facility. It is also currently available as part of a pilot program at West Tennessee State Prison (women’s section).

Georgia facilities are unique, as the JP5s is the only device available and the tablets are given to inmates when they arrive.  However, if your loved one is serving less than six months, they will not receive a tablet from the state, but they can purchase one.

Tablet availability can change, so be sure to check http://www.jpay.com/PAvail.aspx and with your loved one to stay up-to-date.

For specific questions you can call JPay customer service at 800-574-5729 or email support@jpay.com.

How much do the JP5s and JP5mini cost?

This varies by state. The best way to find out pricing is to log into your JPay account on JPay.com and see which options are available for you to purchase on your loved ones’ behalf. If the option to purchase the JP5 tablet is not available from your JPay account, please contact our customer service at 800-574-5729 for assistance.  Keep in mind, your loved one can only have one tablet.  However, if he/she currently has a JP5 device, only he/she could upgrade or purchase a new tablet from the kiosk.  This is often the reason why people don’t see the option to buy a JP5 device on JPay.com.

What products and services are available at my loved one’s facility and what are the rates?

A good way to stay up-to-date with the products and services available at your loved one’s facility is to visit http://www.jpay.com/PAvail.aspx. JPay will also send out notifications via email and via the JPay kiosks (located within the facility) when new services are added.  But the absolute best way to know what JPay services are available to your loved ones is to log into your JPay account periodically and review the options there… whenever a service is added (or in rare cases, removed), it will be reflected on the page you see when you log into JPay.com or open the mobile app.

When will more services be brought to my loved one’s facility?

This is up to the discretion of each state Department of Corrections. JPay does not control the process of adding new services in each state.

December 12, 2018 - 11:17 am

Hi MaryJo – we have escalated this concern. You should hear from a Customer Service agent soon. Thanks!

2. maryjo kline

December 11, 2018 - 4:34 pm

my son ordered his player months ago and I have tried calling your customer service to no avail …please let me know what I need to do to find out where his tablet is… people that have ordered tablets after him have received them and your customer service has informed me there is no system to look up orders witch cannot be right !? asked for a number to call for help and was told there is no other number and nothing they can do… please get back to me it would be so nice for him to have it son …its almost Christmas Thank you ~Maryjo Kline

November 19, 2018 - 3:59 pm

Hi Nori – The JPay tablets arrive with a Quick Start guide, so your loved one already received it. Thanks!

4. Nori St. Paul

November 14, 2018 - 9:53 pm

Can I get an owners manual for the device either shipped to the inmate or to myself?

November 19, 2018 - 4:00 pm

Hi Nori – If the tablet is at 100%, it should no longer be plugged in. Your loved one can use the tablet and then charge it again when the battery charge is much lower. Thanks!

6. Nori St. Paul

November 14, 2018 - 9:52 pm

Can the inmate keep the device plugged in and charged at 100% always, or will that ruin the battery?
    Does it need to be unplugged so the battery runs down, and then plugged in again to charge it?.

November 12, 2018 - 1:27 pm

Hi Christine – When your loved one logs into his JPay kiosk he will see the communications you sent. If available at his location, he can purchase an upgrade tablet as well. Thanks!

8. Christine

November 10, 2018 - 11:14 am

Also, he hasn’t been on JPay at all yet but I know it is available where he was placed. (He’s only been in the prison system for about a week and 2 days).. Once he gets his password/code or whatever they give him to log in, will he see all the emails and pics I’ve sent him the past couple of days?

9. Christine

November 10, 2018 - 11:10 am

Hi! I just bought my husband a Jpay mini tablet yesterday. If I would like to upgrade in a few months, how would I do that?

October 26, 2018 - 1:33 pm

Hi Justin – Please email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative who can look at your friend’s account and see why the option is not available. Thanks!

11. justin peek

October 24, 2018 - 5:24 pm

I went to buy a friend a tablet but when doing so it told me they want able to receive one at this time there in michigan state prison why would they not be able to receive one

October 24, 2018 - 8:49 am

Hi Allison – Please have your loved one write a trouble ticket through the kiosk and a Customer Service representative will help. Thanks!

13. Allison

October 23, 2018 - 5:22 pm

My loved one says the time on his tablet changed and seems to be 2 hours behind. How can he correct the clock on his tablet? Thanks!

October 17, 2018 - 2:28 pm

Hi Tanya – We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience. Customer Service will work with your loved one regarding the tablet. Thanks!

15. Tanya Cole

October 8, 2018 - 9:45 pm

My love one is at the New Jersey State Prison and his JP5 has stopped working. He submitted a trouble ticket and was told he had to wait 45 days for approval and then another 30 days to receive the replacement. Why is the processing time longer than normal?

October 17, 2018 - 2:33 pm

Hi Shanna – Please email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative and provide the location of your loved one and they can give you more information on the tablet and what is available. Thanks!

17. Shanna

October 4, 2018 - 2:45 pm

Hi, my boyfriend wants the new jp5 tablet, can u email from them without getting on the computer and can u make calls from them?

October 2, 2018 - 4:31 pm

Hi Nancy – The JPay tablets are not available in Colorado. Thanks!

19. Nancy

October 2, 2018 - 10:32 am

Are the JP5 tablets available in Colorado yet at The Colorado State Penitentiary & if so how much is it to purchase one for my loved one

October 2, 2018 - 4:34 pm

Hi Melissa – Please have your fiancé send a trouble ticket and customer service will help him. Thanks!

21. Melissa Cos=x

October 1, 2018 - 10:11 pm

Now that my fiance has transferred to a new facility, his tablet no longer works. My mother in law was told by a manager at Jpay that he would not be able to purchase any new media, however he would still have access to the media we had already purchased along with his pictures. But his tablet shut off the other night at midnight with a message saying ” You must plug into the kioske to continue”. What do we do now about his media and the pictures? Do we get refunded? Do we have a way to transfer all his music to the new mp3 player we have had to purchase?

October 2, 2018 - 4:35 pm

Hi Kendra – There are no plans at this time to offer JPay tablets in North Carolina. Thanks!

23. Kendra

October 1, 2018 - 8:21 pm

To whom it concerns:
    I have a fiancée in a North Carolina State Correctional facility. I was wondering when or if they will be given the chance to purchase a tablet. Thank you for your consideration.

September 25, 2018 - 3:22 pm

Hi Jessica – Yes they can! They can send the tablet back to JPay to be unlocked. Email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative who can tell you how.

25. Jessica jones

September 22, 2018 - 12:54 pm

Do they get to keep the tablets when they are realesed from prison ?

September 25, 2018 - 3:25 pm

Hello – The tablet will arrive within a few weeks. Thanks!

27. Mrs.Brice

September 21, 2018 - 8:51 am

Hi my boyfriend is in Miami Florida and I ordered him one this morning how long will it be b4 he receives it?!

September 25, 2018 - 3:28 pm

Hi Heather – Please email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative and provide those numbers and they will identify where the tablet is. Thanks!

29. Heather Perkins

September 20, 2018 - 12:04 pm

My husband ordered his tablet weeks ago and still has not received it. We have the tracking number 4541 7759 9736 and the order number 38905306 but there is no where on the site to input that information to check on the status. How can we find out where it is?

September 13, 2018 - 1:15 pm

Hi Toshua – Please email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative who can help answer your question. Thanks!

31. Toshua

September 8, 2018 - 12:07 am

Why do my inbox emails keep getting deleted

September 13, 2018 - 1:17 pm

Hi Julie – The JP5 tablets are not free in Ohio. Thanks!

33. Julie byrd

September 6, 2018 - 5:15 am

Are the tablets free to inmates in Ross Correctional in ohio

September 4, 2018 - 1:32 pm

Hi Raymond – Please email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative who will give you directions on how to unlock your tablet. Thanks!

35. Raymond Edwards

August 30, 2018 - 12:21 pm

How do I get the tablet unlocked now that I am out of prison

August 27, 2018 - 1:44 pm

Hi Ellen – Yes, there are two different devices available in Fl. Please email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative who can give you all the details for each device. Thanks!

37. ELLEN TRUFANT

August 21, 2018 - 2:36 pm

How are these measured? There are two available in Florida and I am not sure which one will be most suitable.
    One is 4.4″ and the other one is 7″.

August 27, 2018 - 1:55 pm

Hi Camilla – Please email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative who can help you purchase a tablet. Thanks!

39. Camilla

August 18, 2018 - 10:03 am

Hi.
    I want to buy one for my boyfriend who’s at Franklin C.I and they just got available yesterday. But when I try to do it it says he already own one, which he doesn’t and nobody’s bough one for him yet. So wgat do I do here..?

August 15, 2018 - 12:58 pm

Hi Laura – yes you can! Please email support@jpay.com and a customer service representative will provide you with the steps to get your tablet unlocked.

41. Laura

August 4, 2018 - 12:45 pm

Hello,
    I would like to know if one can use the JPay Tablet after they’re released from prison.
    Thank you.

August 1, 2018 - 9:21 pm

Hi Angel – We work with each state directly. If you would like to see JPay tablets at your loved one’s TX facility, please feel free to reach out to the Department of Criminal Justice and express your opinion. Thanks!

43. Angel

July 27, 2018 - 6:24 pm

Texas is a large market. Seems like a waste not to offer them here. Who makes the decision to allow or not allow the tablets?

July 23, 2018 - 12:04 pm

Hi Jennifer – Please email support@jpay.com or call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative who can provide you with all the details and information on unlocking tablets. Thanks!

45. Jennifer

July 21, 2018 - 1:49 pm

My inmate upgraded his jplayer and mailed his old one home. In order to unlock for personal use; I have a couple questions. Can I mail this is to be unlocked BEFORE *his* release since I have the old one? Is there a fee I need to pay online or payment that needs to be mailed in with player to cover return shipping costs? Etc….

(Also plz confirm address)

ATTN: Media Department

12034 Miramar Pkwy

Miramar, FL 33025​

July 23, 2018 - 12:07 pm

Hi Darlene – You can view all Terms of Service Agreements on JPay.com. Thanks!

47. darlene A snowden

July 21, 2018 - 9:05 am

What is the warranty time on these tablets.will you replace it if it is defective.

July 10, 2018 - 10:57 am

Hi Sam – Yes. Once your son receives the new tablet, he can sync it to the kiosk and download his music. Thanks!

49. Sam

July 9, 2018 - 7:50 am

will my son’s music be downloaded to the new tablet? His other one was stolen/lost. I want to get him a new one but would like his music to be loaded to it.

July 10, 2018 - 10:57 am

Hi Cassie – He should receive it in the next few weeks. Thanks!

51. Cassie

July 8, 2018 - 8:37 pm

Hi! I just purchased a tablet for my guy, how long will it take for him to receive it?

July 10, 2018 - 10:57 am

Hi Sue – No, the battery itself cannot be replaced. Thanks!

53. sue buckingham

July 8, 2018 - 2:28 pm

Can the battery be replaced?

July 2, 2018 - 8:40 am

Hi Madeline – Timing varies, but once you see him through you JPay account the option to purchase a tablet (if he doesn’t currently own one) will appear. Thanks!

55. Madeline Unuvar

June 30, 2018 - 9:42 am

My LO just got transferred to a location where these are available. How long does it take JPay to recognize this so I can buy him one?

June 28, 2018 - 6:43 pm

Hi Wendi – There are no plans to offer tablets in Texas at this time. Thanks!

57. Wendi Leeth

June 27, 2018 - 7:28 am

My loved one is located in the Eastham Unit, Lovelady Texas. They wrote to me last week saying the unit was getting coax cables installed around the unit but wasn’t told why. Any plans on the tablets being made available there?

May 24, 2018 - 8:33 am

Hi Joe – Please email Support@JPay.com and a Customer Service Representative will provide you with next steps. Thanks!

59. Joe

May 21, 2018 - 1:19 pm

How do I go about unlocking the JP5S now that my son has been released from incarceration? What steps do I need to do to ensure it continues to function now that he is no longer able to bring it to a kiosk?

May 9, 2018 - 9:03 am

Hi Monika – Louisiana has the JP5s, which is powered by a lithium rechargeable battery. So your sweetheart already has a charger! Thanks!

61. Monika Kurzbach

May 6, 2018 - 4:51 pm

Hello,
    I read that there are 5 mini batteries or a charger for the Jpay. The batteries are very expensive and my question would be:

Could I additionally buy a charger for my sweetheart in Louisiana (DR)?

May 9, 2018 - 9:21 am

Hi Jess – Please have your loved one write a trouble ticket from the kiosk and our Customer Service Team will provide next steps. Thanks!

63. Jess T Johnson

May 4, 2018 - 5:48 pm

We have the jp5 and it is frozen. what do we do

May 9, 2018 - 9:22 am

Hi Linda – Once tablets are available, we’ll provide customers with all information on the device. Thanks!

65. Linda

May 3, 2018 - 5:07 pm

Where do you find the cost of the tablets my loved one is in Florida State correctional facility.

April 30, 2018 - 12:56 pm

Hi Linda – Yes, that facility has the JP5 tablets. Thanks!

67. Linda

April 28, 2018 - 8:49 am

Hi I would like to know if the tablets are available to inmates in the Georgia Diagnostic prison in Jackson.

April 25, 2018 - 8:41 am

Hi Lex – I suggest you check out the facility’s website to see what’s available to him. He will need to get his account/password setup and then you should hear from him. Thanks!

69. Lex

April 24, 2018 - 7:13 pm

Hi, Im new to this. First time dealing with someone being incarcerated. My boyfriend went to the ga diagnostic and classification center. He was shipped there last week Wednesday. This isn’t his first time going through that, so how long will it be for me to hear from him. I’ve emailed him and still no response. I really miss him and want to hear from him just to know that he’s ok. Do they allow them to make at least one phone call?

April 23, 2018 - 9:19 am

Hi Jill – At this time, incarcerated individuals cannot make phone calls from the JP5 tablet. Thanks!

71. Jill

April 20, 2018 - 2:51 pm

Can inmates make phone calls from these tablets?

April 17, 2018 - 9:46 am

Hi Kierra – Please have your boyfriend send a trouble ticket to Customer Support through the kiosk. The Customer Service team will review the issues and inform him of next steps. Thanks!

73. Kierra

April 15, 2018 - 2:09 am

Hi my boyfriend tablet will not cut on at all. It just happened. Yes he had the tablet for a while but he are worried about do we have to buy another one or will he be able to get it fixed? He has no crack or anything on it.

April 11, 2018 - 9:15 am

Hi Sue – Please email Support@JPay.com and a Customer Service Representative will give you directions on where to send the tablet. Thanks!

75. Sue J

April 8, 2018 - 6:45 am

Where do I send the tablet to be opened

April 11, 2018 - 9:16 am

Hi Shirley – Once we have a confirmed deployment date, we’ll inform all customers. Thanks!

77. shirley

April 6, 2018 - 10:17 am

when will tablets be available in florida

April 6, 2018 - 8:53 am

Hi Emmy – you can see all of the facilities JPay services when you click on the “prison search” page on JPay.com and click on Ohio. If tablets are available and you do not have the option to purchase, that means your loved one already has a tablet (or previously did) and only him/her can purchase a new tablet from the kiosk. Thanks!

79. Emmy waganfeald

April 5, 2018 - 8:12 am

My loved one is at corrections center of northwest ohio, I know ohio allows the tablets but does this specific facility? I see nothing on the website about purchasing.

April 2, 2018 - 9:07 am

Hi Carolyn – You do need headphones to listen to the tablet. You can purchase regular headphones from your local store, it doesn’t have to be a JPay headset. Thanks!

81. Carolyn Larson

March 28, 2018 - 11:38 am

I received my son’s tablet and had it unlocked and there’s no sound.they did not send headphones from the prison.do you have to have to have headphones? And if so can I buy a replacement pair?

March 27, 2018 - 8:26 am

Hi Carmen – At this time, the JP5 tablets are not available in Iowa. I suggest visiting the facility’s website to see what technology is available. Thanks!

83. Carmen Johnson

March 27, 2018 - 8:16 am

Good morning my son is incarcerated in Ft Dodge Iowa & I’m just trying to find out how much this JP5 tablet costs. I’d like to order it for him for a belated birthday present he’ll be 21 & this will be a great surprise. TIA

March 26, 2018 - 10:01 am

Hi Shawntil – Once we have a confirmed deployment date for tablets we’ll make sure all customers are aware. Thanks!

85. Shawntil

March 22, 2018 - 9:30 am

Good Morning, I just wanted to know if have or heard any updated information about the J5S Tablets in Florida as of yet?

March 26, 2018 - 10:07 am

Hi Sherie – If your loved one is having issues with the tablet, please have him or her send a trouble ticket through the kiosk. Thanks!

87. Sherie

March 21, 2018 - 1:53 pm

How do they troubleshoot when the device doesn’t do the initial start up and load emails media etc

March 19, 2018 - 9:05 am

Hello – Please email Suppport@JPay.com and a Customer Service Representative will give you directions on how to unlock your device. Thanks!

89. Unsatisfied Customer

March 15, 2018 - 8:13 pm

How do you unlock the jp5’s features once you are released. You don’t post that information anywhere on your site and the customer service is a nightmare.

90. Jade Trombetta

March 12, 2018 - 11:41 am

Hi Michelle – The JP5 tablets are available in NBDOC. If you’re having difficulty, please call 800-574-5729 and a Customer Service Representative will help you with the purchase. Thanks!

91. Michelle

March 11, 2018 - 1:39 pm

Okay JP5 tablet say it available at my husband facility he at Diagnostic & Evaluation Center (DEC) Nebraska or is it cause I can’t purchase it for my inmate it’s not available to him when I try to buy for him off the mobile app go on line but it I can’t still

92. Jade Trombetta

March 12, 2018 - 11:43 am

Hi Amanda – As new products and services become available, we’ll inform all customers. Thanks!

93. Amanda

March 8, 2018 - 11:02 pm

I was told that at the London Ohio Prison the inmates wouid all be getting jp5 tablets and they would be getting rid of the phones. They will be able to make calls from the tablets. If this is true, what can you tell me about that and how it will work exactly

94. Jade Trombetta

March 6, 2018 - 8:51 am

Hi John – At this time there are no plans to deploy the JP5 tablets in Indiana. If/when that changes, we will alert all customers. Thanks!

95. John W Dudgeon

March 5, 2018 - 4:31 pm

To Whom it May Concern:
    My son is in the Westville Correctional Facility in the State of Indiana. I was wondering when the tablets would be available at this facility? Thank You for your time and consideration on this matter.

« Older Comments