For those of you with loved ones in Georgia Department of Correction (GDC) facilities, you may know that you have to be on the GDC Approved Senders List in order to send money. This GDC policy was implemented relatively recently, so you may not know that in order to send money with JPay, your JPay account profile name must exactly match the way it appears on the Approved Senders List.
Here’s some information to help:
Get on the Approved Senders List
To ensure that your name is on the Approved Senders List, please contact your loved one. Inmates must submit names for inclusion on their particular Approved Senders List. You cannot add your name to the list, only your loved one can. This is the process of being added to the list:
- Your loved one goes to his or her counselor and requests the form
- The form must be filled out with your social security number (SSN), as well as your driver’s license or other state-issued ID information
- The GDC then runs a background check using that information
- If the background check comes back clear, your name will be added to the Approved Senders List
Confirm that your name is on the Approved Senders List
You may already be on your loved one’s Approved Senders List. If you regularly call, email or visit your loved one, or have gone through a process with the GDC to become an Approved Contact, you are likely already on the Approved Senders List. You can confirm this with your loved one or your loved one’s facility.
Make sure your name matches
This is VERY IMPORTANT… Your name on your JPay account must exactly match your name as it appears on the GDC Approved Senders List in order to send your loved one money. You can edit your JPay account information by logging into JPay.com or the JPay mobile app and choosing “Profile” from the appropriate menu. Here’s how:
- Log into JPay.com or the JPay mobile app for iPhone or Android
- Navigate to the menu
- Choose “Profile” or “My Profile” to edit your account information
- Confirm or change your name so that it exactly matches how it appears on the GDC Approved Senders List
Again, because your loved one used your SSN as well as your driver’s license or other state-issued ID to enter your name on the Approved Senders List, your account name should reflect what is printed on your government-issued ID.
This policy applies to everyone under GDC supervision
Some county jails in Georgia – like Muscogee County Jail – house Georgia state inmates. Even if your loved one is in a facility that isn’t technically a Georgia state prison, but they are still a GDC inmate, you must be on the GDC Approved Senders List to send money.
We hope this information helps. If you still have questions or difficulty with the Approved Senders List, please reach out to your loved one or JPay customer service.